Monday, July 17, 2017

White Bodies Review

White Bodies
By: Jane Robins

Felix and Tilda seem like the perfect couple: young and in love, a financier and a beautiful up-and-coming starlet. But behind their flawless facade, not everything is as it seems.

Callie, Tilda's unassuming twin, has watched her sister visibly shrink under Felix's domineering love. She has looked on silently as Tilda stopped working, nearly stopped eating, and turned into a neat freak, with mugs wrapped in Saran Wrap and suspicious syringes hidden in the bathroom trash. She knows about Felix's uncontrollable rages, and has seen the bruises on the white skin of her sister's arms.

Worried about the psychological hold that Felix seems to have over Tilda, Callie joins an Internet support group for victims of abuse and their friends. However, things spiral out of control and she starts to doubt her own judgment when one of her new acquaintances is killed by an abusive man. And then suddenly Felix dies--or was he murdered?



This was one of the best psychological suspense novel's that I can remember reading. Usually I am so turned off by the synopsis of the book that I stick to my tried and true genres, but this is a book that made me glad that I gave it a try. I spent most of the novel chewing my nails and grinding my teeth in anticipation and the other parts talking to the book as if the characters could hear me (just imagine the reactions from the people around me as I'm yelling "what the hell are you thinking?!" at a book).

For the duration of the book I was really unsure of how I felt about it. I felt such an array of emotions as I read it and I couldn't get a handle on how I felt about any character because they all seemed so complex and contrary. For most of the book I felt sorry for Tildy, of course, who seems as though she is stuck in an abusive relationship. I hated Felix and had decided that I wasn't at all sorry that he had died. I liked Wilf, Daphne and Belle, and I pitied Scarlett. I was intrigued by Callie but neither liked nor disliked her.

Callie's character was by far the most complex in the book. It seems as though she has mental issues and needs psychological help as her obsession with her twin has consumed her for as long as she can remember and is truely bizarre turn as she stalks Tildy, spies on her, eats her hair clippings and baby teeth ( honestly, I had such a hard time reading the part about the teeth). I spent the majority of the book wondering if Tildy's abuse was all a figment of Callie's imagination, that Callie had created to try to keep Tildy to herself, or enable herself to play the role of Tildy's rescuer. But at the same time Tildy seems very aware of Callie's obsession with her and does nothing about it. She never confronts her or points out how unhealthy it is. On the contrary she seems to enjoy the attention and adoration that Callie gives her.

The end of the book really threw me off, I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't that! That was the point that I decided I loved the book. It was completely unexpected and Callie's character is somewhat redeemed (still, that girl needs some professional help!) and you get to see the intricacy of the whole book come together and make sense in a way that shocked me so much that I reread the end of the book twice. 

Jane Robins wrote a phenomenal book that I enjoyed more that I can say. I look forward to reading more from her. 

Final Rating:
✬✬✬✬✬
Probability of Rereading:
Yes.

Thanks for reading!

Opinionated Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpha Review

Alpha (Alpha, #1) By: Jasinda Wilder The first time it happened, it seemed like an impossible miracle. Bills were piling up, adding up to...